If you’ve read our story, you’ll know that getting out of DC is a positive externality of our current journey.
But, while it’s just not really our scene for a variety of reasons, DC hasn’t been rotten to us either. We have some fond memories and things we’ll miss … mostly food-related (surprising, I am sure).
Without further ado, I present our “DC bucket list”: things we want to do, see, and eat before DC is no longer our home.
We’ve got our work cut out for us.
Peace, love, and happiness –
- Finish my painting of our dog, Pappy Van Winkle (not related whatsoever to DC, but really want to get it done before we go)
- Bike ride to our favorite wine and cheese picnic spot – the steps overlooking the Potomac on the East side of the Lincoln Memorial – to watch the sun set (see photo at right)
- A mid-week, afternoon movie date at E Street Cinema (independent films + beer/wine/bubbly + popcorn – impossible to go wrong)
- Jazz in the National Sculpture Garden
- Weekday afternoon Nats game
- Bike up the Cap Crescent trail and picnic (what can I say, we like a good picnic?)
- Croquetas at Jaleo (see photo at right)
- An evening of brews at Churchkey with the biggest beer afficianado I know (looking at you Chris K.!)
- Breakfast at the Eastern Market counter in our neighborhood (“The Brick” breakfast sandwich with eggs, cheese, potatoes, and your choice of meat totally rocks)
- Dinner out with our fabulous, long-time neighbors, Joe and David, at Monmarte
- Zaytinya’s braised lamb and eggplant dish
- Brunch at the bar at Old Ebbitt (they have my favorite breakfast dish EVER, Eggs Long Island: basically an form of eggs Benedict with sauteed spinach, scrambled eggs, fried oysters, and Dijon hollandaise)
- Il Canale in Georgetown for pizza (where native Napolis in-the-know go for pizza)
- Evening cocktails and jazz in the fall next to the roaring fire at Tabard Inn, where we had our wedding rehearsal dinner
- The area’s best Italian sub from A Litteri
- Good Stuff Eatery burgers and fries (and of course all the mayo dipping sauces…heaven!)
- Zucchini fritters at Cava
- Dim sum brunch at the Source
- Ethiopian at Ethiopic
- Toki Underground for ramen
- Sonoma to do a lazy, self-constructed three course dinner with wine pairings